Wendy’s is a fast food chain with a wide selection of fast food options. Some of their dishes are suitable for vegans, and of course, others are not. In this article, we’ll look at Wendy’s vegan options and what you can safely order.
In a world where people are becoming more conscious about their health, Wendy’s is an example of a restaurant that is adapting to the changing demands of the market. The popularity of veganism has been on the rise in recent years and this has been reflected by the success of many vegan restaurants.
If you’re thinking about following a vegan diet, Wendy’s can be a great option. Wendy’s isn’t exactly a vegan specific restaurant. However, Wendy’s makes some of its food items gluten-free, soy-free, nut-free, and vegan friendly. This allows them to cater to customer needs who might not be able to eat traditional fast food items because they are allergic or have dietary restrictions.
What To Avoid at Wendy’s When You’re on a Vegan Diet
As mentioned earlier, there are some foods that you’ll want to avoid when following a vegan diet at Wendy’s. These menu items contain meat, dairy, or eggs and are therefore not suitable for vegans.
- Burgers – Wendy’s burgers contain meat, so these should be avoided.
- Chicken sandwiches – Similar to the burgers, all of Wendy’s chicken sandwiches contain meat and are not suitable for vegans.
- Frosties – Frosties are made with milk and therefore are not vegan-friendly. Be sure to avoid these if you’re following a vegan diet.
- Cheese – Cheese is made from milk and is therefore not suitable for vegans.
- Sour cream – Sour cream is also made from milk and is therefore not vegan-friendly.
- Mayonnaise – Mayonnaise is made with eggs and is therefore not vegan. If you’re following a vegan diet, be sure to order your food without mayonnaise.
The good news is that there are plenty of great menu items that you can enjoy at Wendy’s as a vegan! With so many delicious and healthy options available, eating at Wendy’s on a vegan diet can be easy and enjoyable.
Top Vegan Options at Wendy’s
Here is the list of Wendy’s vegan options:
Wendy’s offers a plain baked potato on their menu. Be sure to order it without any butter, sour cream, or cheese. This baked Potato is probably the healthiest item on Wendy’s menu.
These are natural-cut potatoes that are seasoned with salt, black pepper, sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, and spices. It is cooked in vegetable oil. Seasoned potatoes are 330 calories on medium servings.
Garden Side Salad
This salad contains lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, and carrots. You can either order it with oil and vinegar or with one of Wendy’s vegan-friendly dressings. This salad is a great option if you’re looking for something light and healthy. It is around 130 calories.
Asian Cashew Chicken Salad (Remove the Chicken)
This salad contains lettuce, edamame, cashews, and crispy wontons. It can be ordered with either oil and vinegar or one of Wendy’s vegan-friendly dressings. This salad is a bit higher in calories than the Garden Side Salad, but it is still a great option if you’re looking for something light and healthy. It is around 380 calories. Request NO Chicken (when ordering) and you’ll be good to go.
Apple Slices/Apple Bites
Wendy’s offers side fruits as a healthier alternative to some of its other menu items. These are a great option if you’re looking for a healthy and refreshing snack. Apple slices are a refreshing fruit snack that is around 80 calories and is a good source of fiber and vitamins.
Wendy’s French fries are suitable for vegans as they are cooked in vegetable oil. If you’re looking for a heartier option, you can also order a large size. The freshly cut fries are a great option if you’re looking for something to snack on. One small order of fries contains around 301 calories.
Southwest Avocado Salad
Wendy’s offers a delicious vegan-friendly Southwest Avocado Salad! This salad contains lettuce, black beans, corn, avocado, tomato, and crispy tortilla strips. Just like the other salad on the menu, it can also be ordered with oil and vinegar or one of Wendy’s vegan-friendly dressings.
Summer Strawberry Salad
Fruits make a great addition to any salad, and Wendy’s Summer Strawberry Salad is no exception! This salad contains lettuce, fresh strawberries, blueberries, Mandarin oranges, and almond slices. Be sure to order it without chicken or cheese for a vegan-friendly meal.
This salad can be ordered without meat, cheese, or sour cream to make it vegan-friendly. It includes lettuce, black beans, corn, tomatoes, and crispy tortilla strips. You can also request to add avocado or extra chips. The chili is beef-based, so please ask for it to be omitted.
Apple Pecan Salad
This salad is made from spring lettuce, apples, dried cranberries, and vinaigrette dressing. Be sure to omit the blue cheese, pecans, or chicken when ordering. This can be a great addition to your lunch or dinner option. The Apple Pecan salad has around 400 to 500 calories, but it also varies based on whether or not the meat is included.
Wendy’s Vegan Beverages
Wendy’s is also serving vegan beverages! Choose from a variety of options, including:
- Fountain Beverages – All of Wendy’s fountain beverages are vegan-friendly. Their fountain beverages include Coca-Cola, Diet Coke, Coca-Cola Zero Sugar, Sprite, Dr. Pepper, Fanta Orange, Barq’s Root Beer, and Minute Maid Light Lemonade.
- Variety Of Lemonade Flavors – Try out one of Wendy’s delicious lemonade flavors such as Sunburst Melon Lemonade, Pineapple Mango Lemonade, All-Natural Lemonade, Strawberry Lemonade, and Minute Maid Light Lemonade.
- Iced Tea – Wendy’s offers both sweetened and unsweetened that has been brewed and served over ice. Wendy’s Iced Tea is 5 to 10 calories and sweetened is 260 calories on a small size.
- Fresh Brewed Coffee – Coffee is also available at Wendy’s and is brewed fresh throughout the day. Decaf coffee is also available upon request. A small coffee is only 5 calories.
- Cold Brewed Iced Coffee – Wendy’s is now serving up cold brewed iced coffee! Their rich, smooth cold brew is made with 100% Arabica beans and steeped for 18 hours to give you a deliciously bold flavor. Stop by Wendy’s today and try their new cold brewed iced coffee for yourself! You won’t be disappointed.
- Plain Orange Juice – If you’re looking for something refreshing and 100% natural then plain orange juice is for you. Made with fresh oranges, this juice is perfect for anyone looking for a healthy alternative to sugary drinks.
Wendy’s Vegan Hamburger Options
Wendy’s vegan burgers are made with a black bean patty and are topped with lettuce, tomato, and cucumber. The spicy black bean burger is only available in Columbus, Jacksonville, and Pittsburgh City. They are using Sandwich Bun and Premium Bun for your hamburgers. You can order Dave’s Single or Jr. Cheeseburger Deluxe just be sure to order it without cheese or sour cream. A veggie burger is around 310 calories.
For those on a vegan diet, Wendy’s Veggie Stack burger is an excellent option. Customizable with vegetables, grains, and spices, this meat-free burger can also be topped with Emmental cheese. Additional toppings such as tomatoes, lettuce, and vegan garlic mayonnaise are available.
Vegan Wendy’s Breakfast Options
For breakfast, you may select a plain baked potato or a side of fruit as a lighter option. As for your drink, can pair it with a refreshing orange juice or coffee. A plain baked potato is 240 calories and a side of fruit is 80 calories.
Vegan Wendy’s Kid’s Meal Options
Wendy’s also offers vegan-friendly options for kids! The following items can be ordered without cheese to make them vegan:
- Apple Slices – this healthy side is a great option for kids.
- Jr. Hamburger – be sure to ask to remove the meat and just add tomatoes and lettuce.
- Garden Side Salad – This salad contains lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, and carrots. It can be ordered with oil and vinegar or one of Wendy’s vegan-friendly dressings
- French Fries – Wendy’s French fries are cooked in vegetable oil and are a great option for kids.
- Freshly Brewed Iced Tea- This beverage is a great way to start the day or to enjoy a meal for kids.
- Kids Fruit Bowl – This healthy option is a great snack or side for kids. It contains fresh grapes, strawberries, blueberries, and Mandarin oranges.
- Kids Fruit Punch – This refreshing beverage is a great way to cool down on a hot day.
Vegan Sauce Options at Wendy’s
Wendy’s offers a vegan option for their sauces such as:
- Sweet and Spicy Asian Sauce – This sweet and tangy Asian-style sauce is perfect for dipping or adding to your food.
- Spicy Southwest Vinaigrette – This slightly spicy dressing is perfect for salads.
- Oil and Vinegar – This classic dressing is made with oil and vinegar. It’s perfect for salads, or as a dipping sauce.
- Barbecue Sauce – This smoky sauce is perfect for dipping or adding to your food.
- Ketchup – This classic condiment is perfect for fries, burgers, or as a dipping sauce. Ketchup packets are a safe and easy option.
- Mustard – This tangy condiment is perfect for fries, burgers, or as a dipping sauce.
Vegan Salad Dressings
Wendy’s offers three vegan-friendly salad dressings:
- Sweet and Spicy Asian – This dressing is a sweet and tangy Asian-style sauce.
- Spicy Southwest Vinaigrette – This dressing is slightly spicy.
- Oil and Vinegar – This classic dressing is made with oil and vinegar.
Why Vegan Wendy’s is a Game Changer in the Restaurant Industry?
Wendy’s is a game changer in the restaurant industry. They are one of the top fast food chains that offer vegetarian items on their menu. This is good news for vegans and people who want a healthy, affordable, and convenient option while eating out. Taco Bell, White Castle, and Burger King are their main competitors.
The restaurant has been receiving a lot of media attention since they announced they would be offering vegan options on their menu in 2019. They’ve been featured in many publications, including The New York Times, USA Today, and Forbes Magazine.
Wendy’s Vegan Options FAQs
Is Wendy’s vegan?
There are several vegan-friendly options available on their menu. Be sure to check the ingredients list of each menu item to make sure it does not contain any meat, dairy, or eggs.
What can I eat at Wendy’s if I’m vegan?
There are several vegan-friendly options available at Wendy’s, including a baked potato, garden salad, apple slices, fries, and southwest avocado salad. You can also order a variety of beverages, including fountain drinks, iced tea, coffee, and orange juice.
Is the spicy black bean burger at Wendy’s vegan?
Yes, the spicy black bean burger at Wendy’s is vegan. This burger is made with a black bean patty and is topped with lettuce, tomato, and cucumber. Be sure to order it without cheese or sour cream.
Does Wendy’s offer Vegan Frosty?
No, currently Wendy’s does not offer a vegan frosty. However, there are a variety of other vegan-friendly desserts and snacks available, including apple slices and side salads.
What oil are they using in cooking?
The oil used in cooking at Wendy’s is vegetable oil. This oil is suitable for vegans as it does not contain any animal products.
What can I eat at Wendy’s If I’m allergic to peanuts?
If you are allergic to peanuts, be sure to avoid any menu items that contain peanuts or peanut products. There are several vegan-friendly options available that do not contain peanuts, including a baked potato, garden salad, apple slices, French fries, and southwest avocado salad. You can also order a variety of beverages, including fountain drinks, iced tea, coffee, and orange juice.
In conclusion, there are plenty of Wendy’s vegan options to choose from! Whether you’re looking for a quick snack or a hearty meal, Wendy’s has something for everyone. Be sure to check the ingredient list of each menu item to ensure that it is suitable for your diet. With these tips in mind, you’re sure to find something delicious to eat next time you visit Wendy’s. Thanks for reading!