When it comes to Southern-style comfort food, Cracker Barrel is a popular choice. However, for those following a vegan diet, finding suitable options at this restaurant chain may seem like a daunting task. But fear not, because, despite its reputation for meat-heavy dishes and dairy-laden sides, Cracker Barrel does offer a number of vegan-friendly options that are both tasty and satisfying.
From breakfast staples like grits and fruit plates to hearty vegetable sides and salads, there is plenty of Cracker barrel vegan options to choose from. In this article, we’ll take a closer look at the vegan options available at this beloved eatery and provide tips on how to customize your order for a fully plant-based meal.
What is a Vegan Diet?
A vegan diet is a type of plant-based diet that excludes all animal-derived foods and products, including meat, poultry, fish, dairy, eggs, and honey. Vegans rely on a variety of plant-based foods to meet their nutritional needs, including fruits, vegetables, whole grains, legumes, nuts, and seeds.
Veganism is often motivated by ethical, environmental, or health reasons, and the diet is associated with a number of potential health benefits, including a lower risk of heart disease, cancer, and type 2 diabetes.
How to Order Vegan at Cracker Barrel
As mentioned earlier, Cracker Barrel is a restaurant chain that primarily serves Southern-style comfort food, which can make it challenging for vegans to find suitable options. However, with a bit of planning and creativity, it’s possible to order a vegan meal at Cracker Barrel.
Here are some tips for ordering vegan at Cracker Barrel:
- Ask the server for assistance: The first step is to let your server know that you are on a diet and ask for their recommendations. They may be able to suggest menu items that can be customized to meet your dietary needs.
- Customize menu items: Some menu items can be customized to make them vegan-friendly. For example, you can order the side of green beans without bacon or butter. You can also ask for a salad without cheese and with oil and vinegar or lemon wedges instead of dressing.
- Order a la carte: If there are no suitable vegan entrees, you can order a la carte items to create a meal. For example, you could order a baked potato with a side of steamed veggies.
- Bring your own toppings: If you have a specific topping you enjoy, such as nutritional yeast or avocado, you can bring it with you to add to your meal.
Always communicate with your server and kitchen staff to ensure your meal is vegan and meets your dietary needs.
Cracker Barrel Vegan Options
When eating vegan, Cracker Barrel may not be the first restaurant that comes to mind for plant-based options, but there are actually several delicious vegan dishes on Cracker Barrel’s menu.
Whether you’re in the mood for breakfast, lunch, or dinner, we’ve rounded up the best plant-based options available at this popular Southern-style restaurant chain. These delicious menu items are listed as vegan-friendly on Cracker Barrel allergen menu.
Here is the list of vegan options at Cracker Barrel:
Coarse Ground Grits
Coarse Ground Grits are a classic Southern dish made from ground corn that is boiled in water until it reaches a thick, porridge-like consistency. These grits are vegan and can be a hearty and satisfying option for breakfast or as a side dish.
Cracker Barrel recently added Impossible Sausage to their menu, which is a plant-based sausage patty made from soy protein, potato protein, and other natural ingredients. It’s a delicious and protein-packed option for breakfast or lunch.
Fried Apples are a sweet and flavorful side dish made from apples cooked in a cinnamon and sugar mixture until they’re tender and caramelized. They’re a great option for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
Fresh Seasonal Fruit
Cracker Barrel offers a variety of fresh seasonal fruit, which can vary based on location and season. These fresh fruits are a healthy and refreshing option that can be a great addition to any meal.
Fresh Apple Slices
Fresh Apple Slices are a simple and nutritious side dish made from fresh apples that have been sliced and served with a side of caramel sauce. They’re a great option for breakfast or as a snack.
Multigrain Toast is a healthy and hearty option for breakfast, made from whole grains and seeds that provide fiber and nutrients.
Some Cracker Barrel locations may offer vegan English muffins, which are a classic breakfast bread that can be toasted and topped with vegan butter or jam.
Sweet Pepper n’ Red Skin Hash
This is a breakfast dish made from diced red-skin potatoes and sweet peppers that are seasoned and cooked until tender. It may vary in availability by location.
The House Salad can be made vegan by requesting no bacon, cheese, or croutons, and choosing a vegan dressing such as fat-free Italian or balsamic herb vinaigrette. The salad comes with lettuce, cucumber, and tomato.
A baked potato is a classic and filling side dish that can be topped with green onions for added flavor and nutrition.
Baked Sweet Potato
These plain baked sweet potatoes are a healthy and delicious side dish that can be topped with pecans for added crunch and flavor.
Cracker Barrel’s Vegetable Soup is made with a variety of vegetables and a savory broth. Soup selections may vary daily, so it’s worth asking your server if it’s available.
Steak fries are thick-cut potato wedges that are crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. They may share a fryer with animal-containing menu items, so it’s important to ask your server if they can be cooked separately. (or if your local Cracker Barrel has a separate fryer)
Breaded Fried Okra
Breaded Fried Okra is a crunchy and flavorful side dish made from breaded and fried okra. It may share a fryer with non-vegan menu items, so it’s important to ask your server if it can be cooked separately (or if they have a separate fryer).
Fresh Steamed Broccoli
Fresh Steamed Broccoli is a simple and healthy side dish that is steamed to perfection.
Boiled Cabbage is a classic Southern side dish made from cabbage that has been boiled until tender. It’s available on Sundays and Wednesdays as the Country Side of the Day.
Lima Beans are a protein-rich and filling side dish that can be a great source of nutrition. They are available on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays as the Country Side of the Day.
- BBQ Sauce Cracker Barrel’s BBQ Sauce is a tangy and sweet sauce that can be used as a dip or a topping for vegan dishes.
- Ketchup: Ketchup is a classic condiment that can be used as a topping or a dip for fries and other dishes.
Benefits of a Vegan Diet (Plant-Based)
While some people choose to adopt a vegan lifestyle for ethical reasons, others do so for the potential health benefits. Here is a list of benefits of a vegan diet:
- Improved heart health: Plant-based diets are often rich in fiber, which can help lower cholesterol levels and reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Lower risk of cancer: Some studies suggest that a plant-based diet may reduce the risk of certain types of cancer, such as colon, breast, and prostate cancer.
- Better weight management: Vegan diets tend to be lower in calories and fat than traditional diets, which can help with weight loss or weight management.
- Improved digestion: A plant-based diet is often rich in fiber, which can help keep the digestive system healthy and regular.
- Environmental benefits: Animal agriculture is a leading contributor to climate change, deforestation, and water pollution. Adopting this diet can help reduce an individual’s carbon footprint and support a more sustainable food system.
- Ethical considerations: Many people choose a plant-based diet for ethical reasons, such as concerns about animal welfare or the environmental impact of animal agriculture.
It’s worth noting that a vegan diet, like any diet, needs to be well-planned to ensure that it provides all the necessary nutrients, such as protein, iron, and vitamin B12. Consulting with a healthcare professional or registered dietitian can be helpful in creating a balanced and healthy vegan meal plan.
Cracker Barrel Vegan Options FAQs
Are Cracker Barrel’s biscuits vegan?
Unfortunately, Cracker Barrel’s biscuits contain dairy and are not vegan.
Are Cracker Barrel’s salads vegan?
Cracker Barrel’s House Salad can be made vegan by requesting no bacon, cheese, or croutons, and choosing a dressing without animal-derived ingredients such as fat-free Italian or balsamic herb vinaigrette.
Can I customize my order to make it vegan?
Yes, you can customize your order at Cracker Barrel to make it vegan by asking for no animal products, such as meat, dairy, or eggs, and requesting plant-based substitutes when available.
Are Cracker Barrel’s French fries vegan?
Cracker Barrel’s steak fries are fully vegan, but they might be cooked in the same fryer as animal-containing items like chicken tenders and fish. If cross-contamination is a concern, you may want to avoid the fries. Always ask first if your local Cracker barrel has a separate fryer for their fries.
Can I order a vegan meal at Cracker Barrel if I have a food allergy?
While Cracker Barrel does not have a separate allergen-free menu, they do offer allergy information for their menu items on their website. You can also speak with a manager or server about your specific allergies and ask for recommendations on plant-based and allergen-free options.
Does Cracker Barrel use any animal-derived ingredients in its cooking process?
Cracker Barrel uses some animal-derived ingredients, such as butter and eggs, in their cooking process. However, they do offer some vegan options and can accommodate vegan requests when possible.
In conclusion, while Cracker Barrel may not have an extensive vegan menu, there are still several options available for those following a plant-based diet. Whether you’re looking for a hearty breakfast, a light lunch, or a filling dinner, there are Cracker Barrel vegan options available to satisfy your cravings. By being informed about the ingredients and making customized requests, you can enjoy a delicious meal at this popular Southern-style restaurant chain while staying true to your vegan lifestyle.