Are you looking for gluten free options? Panera Bread offers a variety of gluten-free options for individuals with dietary restrictions or preferences. In this article, we will go through Panera gluten free options and what they are made of. We will also give you some tips on how to order gluten-free items at any fast-food restaurant. Keep reading to learn more!
Panera Bread is a popular chain of fast-casual restaurants known for their fresh, artisanal bread and diverse menu of sandwiches, salads, soups, and other dishes. Founded in 1981, Panera has grown to over 2,000 locations in the United States and Canada, making it one of the largest and most successful chains in the bakery-cafe industry.
One of the key features of Panera Bread is its commitment to using high-quality, fresh ingredients. They source their bread from local bakeries, and their menu features a range of items made with whole grains, seasonal produce, and antibiotic-free meat. They also offer a variety of vegetarian, vegan, and gluten-free options to accommodate different dietary preferences and restrictions.
What is Gluten?
Gluten is a protein found in wheat, barley, and rye. It is responsible for the elastic texture of the dough and helps to give baked goods their structure and shape.
For most people, consuming gluten-containing foods is not a problem. However, some people have a condition called celiac disease, which is an autoimmune disorder that causes the body to react adversely to gluten. When people with celiac disease consume gluten, it can damage the small intestine and prevent the absorption of nutrients from food. This can lead to a range of symptoms, including abdominal pain, bloating, diarrhea, and fatigue, as well as long-term complications such as malnutrition and an increased risk of certain cancers.
In addition to celiac disease, some people have a condition called non-celiac gluten sensitivity, which causes similar symptoms to celiac disease but does not involve the same autoimmune response. Some people also choose to follow a gluten conscious diet for other reasons, such as to improve their overall health or because they have been advised to do so by a healthcare provider.
It’s important to note that gluten is not inherently unhealthy for people who do not have celiac disease or gluten intolerant. However, if you have been advised to follow a gluten-free diet, it is important to carefully read food labels and be aware of potential sources of gluten in your diet.
Panera Bread Gluten Free Menu
Panera Bread created a special “Gluten Conscious” menu, which features a variety of delicious options that are suitable for those following a gluten free diet, who has celiac disease or a gluten allergies. There are also items that you can customize to make it safe, like removing croutons on the salad and more.
The gluten-free at Panera Bread include:
- Steel Cut Oatmeal with Strawberries & Pecans (Breakfast)
- Greek Yogurt with Mixed Berries
- Vegetarian Autumn Squash Soup
- Turkey Chili with Beans
- Creamy Tomato Soup (No croutons)
- Fuji Apple Salad with Chicken
- Green Goddess Cobb Salad
- Greek Salad
- Southwest Chile Lime Ranch Chicken Salad
- Caesar Salad with Chicken (No croutons)
- Baja Bowl with Chicken
- Mediterranean Warm Grain Bowl with Chicken
- Thai Chicken Soup
These items are gluten-free according to Panera Bread’s allergen guide. Some items need modifications to make them gluten-free.
Steel Cut Oatmeal
Are you looking for a delicious and healthy breakfast option? Look no further than Panera gluten free Steel Cut Oatmeal with Strawberries & Pecans! This tasty dish is made with hearty steel-cut oats, sweet strawberries, and crunchy pecans, all topped off with a drizzle of real maple syrup. Not only is this oatmeal tasty, but it’s also packed with nutrients. It is a good source of fiber, protein, and important vitamins and minerals.
Greek Yogurt with Mixed Berries
Panera Bread’s Greek Yogurt with Mixed Berries is a delicious and healthy breakfast or snack option. It’s made with creamy Greek yogurt, a blend of sweet and tart mixed berries, and topped off with a sprinkle of crunchy granola.
Vegetarian Autumn Squash Soup
This gluten-free soup is made with a base of rich and creamy squash puree, and it’s packed with a medley of autumn vegetables including sweet potatoes, carrots, and onions. This flavorful soup is seasoned with a blend of herbs and spices, giving it a warm and comforting flavor that’s perfect for cooler weather.
Turkey Chili with Beans
Turkey Chili with Beans is a hearty and flavorful dish that’s perfect for a cold day. It’s made with a blend of ground turkey meat, kidney beans, and a variety of vegetables including bell peppers, onions, and tomatoes. The chili is seasoned with a blend of spices including cumin, chili powder, and paprika, giving it a warm and savory flavor that’s sure to satisfy.
Creamy Tomato Soup (No Croutons)
Panera’s Creamy Tomato Soup is a classic comfort food that is made with a blend of juicy, ripe tomatoes and creamy milk, and it’s seasoned with a blend of herbs and spices for a rich and savory flavor. This soup is also dairy-free and vegetarian, making it a great option for those following a plant-based diet. Make sure to omit the croutons to make it gluten-free!
Fuji Apple Salad with Chicken
Fuji Apple Salad is a delicious and satisfying option for a quick lunch or dinner. It’s made with a bed of fresh, crisp greens and topped with sweet and tangy fuji apples, crunchy candied pecans, and juicy thinly sliced chicken. This salad is finished off with a fuji apple dressing, giving it a perfect balance of sweet and savory flavors.
Southwest Chile Lime Ranch Salad
This salad is made with a bed of fresh, crisp greens, avocado, and topped with a variety of flavorful ingredients including black beans, roasted corn, grape tomatoes, and crispy tortilla strips. This salad is finished with a drizzle of spicy chile-lime ranch salad dressing, giving it a bold and zesty flavor that will satisfy you.
Caesar Salad with Chicken (No croutons)
Panera’s caesar salad is made with a bed of crisp romaine lettuce and topped with juicy grilled chicken, shaved parmesan cheese, and finished off with a creamy Caesar dressing.
Baja Bowl with Chicken
It’s made with a bed of cilantro-lime brown rice and topped with a variety of flavorful ingredients including black beans, roasted corn, grape tomatoes, avocado, and grilled chicken. This bowl is finished off with a drizzle of spicy chipotle mayo and a sprinkle of queso fresco, giving it a bold and zesty flavor.
Greek salad is packed with nutrients from mixed greens, vegetables, and feta cheese, and the vinaigrette adds a bright and tangy flavor. You can order Greek salad as a standalone dish, or you can add chicken (not breaded) for extra protein.
Mediterranean Warm Grain Bowl with Chicken
This dish is a delicious and satisfying combination of whole grain quinoa, grilled chicken, and a variety of colorful vegetables including tomatoes, cucumbers, and red onions. It’s finished off with a drizzle of creamy lemon tahini dressing and a sprinkle of parsley, giving it a bright and refreshing flavor that’s sure to satisfy your taste buds.
Green Goddess Cobb Salad with Chicken
Made without gluten-containing ingredients such as a bed of fresh mixed greens and topped with a variety of flavorful ingredients including grilled chicken, hard-boiled eggs, bacon, avocado, and blue cheese. This salad is finished off with a drizzle of green goddess dressing. Perfect for a customer with gluten or wheat allergy.
Thai Chicken Soups
These Thai chicken soups are gluten free options at Panera Bread that is made with a rich and flavorful broth that’s packed with a variety of ingredients including grilled chicken, rice noodles, bok choy, mushrooms, and red bell peppers. This soup is finished off with a sprinkle of cilantro and a squeeze of lime, giving it a bright and refreshing flavor.
Gluten-Free Drink Options at Panera Bread
At Panera Bread, there are many drinks that are naturally gluten-free and can be enjoyed without any concern. The gluten-free drink options available at Panera bread include:
- Caffe Latte
- Caramel Latte
- Madagascar Vannila Latte
- Chai Tea Latte
- Cinnamon Crunch Latte
- Chocolate Latte
- Hot Chocolate
- Frozen Chocolate Cold Brew
- Frozen Caramel Cold Brew
- Regular Cold Brew
- Madagascar Vanilla Cream Cold Brew
- Madagascar Vanilla Almond Cold Brew
- Iced Teas
- Strawberry Smoothie (Frozen)
- Mango Smoothie (Frozen)
- Strawberry Banana Smoothie (Frozen)
- Peach and Blueberry Smoothie (Frozen)
- Green Passion Smoothie (Frozen)
- Agave Lemonade
- Strawbery Lemon Mint Energy Lemonade
- Fuji Apple Energy Lemonade
- Mango Yuzu Citrus Energy Lemonade
How To Order Gluten Free Menu Options
Here are some tips for ordering gluten-free options at fast food chains, including Panera Bread:
- Check out the menu ahead of time: Most fast food chains have their menus available online, so you can check out the options beforehand and see what gluten-free options are available.
- Ask about gluten-free options: Most fast food chains will have at least a few gluten-free options available, but they may not always be clearly labeled. If you’re unsure what to order, don’t be afraid to ask the staff about gluten-free options.
- Consider your sides: Some fast food chains offer a variety of side dishes that are naturally gluten-free, such as fruit cups, salads, and baked potatoes. These can be good options if you’re having trouble finding the main course that fits your dietary needs.
- Be cautious about cross-contamination: Even if an item is naturally gluten-free, it can still come into contact with gluten during the preparation process. If you have severe allergies or sensitivities, it’s a good idea to ask about the precautions that the restaurant takes to prevent cross-contamination.
- Don’t be afraid to make substitutions: Many fast food chains are willing to make substitutions to accommodate dietary needs. For example, you can ask for a salad without croutons or a sandwich made with gluten free bread or lettuce wrap. Just keep in mind that not all substitutions may be possible.
Food Items to Avoid When You Have Celiac Disease
If you have celiac disease, it’s important to follow a strict diet to avoid any potential damage. Here is a list of some common food items that you should avoid when you have celiac disease:
- Wheat: This includes all types of wheat, such as durum, spelt, and kamut. Wheat can be found in a wide variety of products, including bread, pasta, baked goods, cereals, and some sauces and seasonings.
- Barley: Barley is commonly found in beer, malt, and certain types of soups and stews.
- Rye: Rye can be found in bread, cereals, and some types of alcohol.
- Oats: Oats themselves do not contain gluten, but they are often processed in facilities that also process wheat, barley, and rye, these menu items contain oats which can lead to cross-contamination. If you have celiac disease, it’s important to look for gluten-free labeled oats to be safe.
- Processed meats: Some processed meats, such as lunch meats and hot dogs, may contain gluten as a binding agent. It’s important to check the label and opt for brands that are labeled as gluten-free.
- Some condiments: Some condiments, such as soy sauce and certain types of Worcestershire sauce, may contain gluten. It’s important to check the label and opt for brands that are labeled as gluten-free.
It’s important to note that this is not an exhaustive list, and it’s always a good idea to check labels and ingredient lists to ensure that a product is gluten-free. If you have any concerns or questions about a specific product, it’s always a good idea to consult with a healthcare professional.
Food Items to Avoid at Panera Bread On a Gluten Conscious Diet
It’s important to be aware of the common sources of gluten that may be lurking in your food. Here is a list of food items that should be avoided for people with celiac disease or following a gluten-free lifestyle at Panera:
- Bagels (All Flavors)
- All Breads
- All Baked Goods
- All Souffle
- All Flatbread Pizzas
- All Breakfast Sandwiches (with bread)
- Teriyaki Sauce
- Tangerine Soy Ginger Dressing
- Peach & Blueberry Smoothie with Almond Milk
- Madagascar Vanilla Almond Cold Brew
- Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- Ten Vegetable Soup
- Bistro French Onion
- Homestyle Chicken Noodle
- Cream Of Chicken & Wild Rice
- Vegetarian Creamy Tomato with Croutons
- Mac and Cheese
- Broccoli Cheddar Mac and Cheese
- Salads with croutons
- Bbq Salad with or without Chicken
- Caesar Salad with Croutons
- Citrus Asian Crunch Salad with & without Chicken
Frequently Asked Questions
What gluten-free options does Panera Bread offer?
Panera gluten free options are salads, soups, and more. They have a “Gluten Conscious” menu options that are made without gluten, which you can find at Panera Bread official site.
How does Panera Bread ensure that its gluten-free items are prepared safely?
Panera Bread has implemented additional food safety measures to ensure that all of its gluten free items are prepared in a dedicated area and with separate utensils to avoid cross contamination.
Can I trust that Panera Bread’s gluten-free options are truly gluten-free?
Panera Bread takes food allergies and sensitivities very seriously, and they take steps to ensure that their gluten-free items are prepared safely and accurately. However, it’s important to note that they are preparing these items in a shared kitchen and may come into contact with other allergens. If you have severe allergies or sensitivities, it’s always a good idea to speak with a manager before placing your order.
Are Panera Bread’s gluten-free options vegan?
Some of Panera Bread’s options are vegan, but not all of them are. To find vegan options, you can check out their official “Vegan Menu Options” or speak with a manager. You can also request that your order be made with plant-based protein options such as tofu or beans.
Does Panera bread offer gluten-free bread (gf bread)?
Unfortunately, Panera Bread does not offer gluten-free bread. Despite its wide selection of delicious pastries and sandwiches, the bakery chain does not bake bread that do not contain gluten. This can be disappointing for those who are gluten sensitive or have a diagnosed medical condition.
Final Thoughts: Panera Gluten Free Options
In conclusion, Panera Bread offers a variety of gluten-free options for those following a diet. These options can be found on their “Gluten Conscious” menu and include salads, soups, and other dishes that are naturally gluten-free. Panera Bread takes food allergies and sensitivities seriously and has implemented additional food safety measures to ensure that its gluten-free items are prepared safely and accurately.
Due to health implications, more and more people are turning to a healthier lifestyle. Nowadays, with the growing demand for healthier lifestyles, fast-food chains are adopting and creating new products to cater to this trend. With that being said, we provide more dietary guides on the different fast food chains in the United States. You can check them out below. Thanks for reading!
Friday 17th of February 2023
Panera is one of the best gluten-free restaurants I've visited. I was worried at first but I never got sick with their food
Fast Menu Chief Editor
Sunday 26th of February 2023
Dairy Queen Gluten-Free Options (Gluten Free Menu 2023)
Thursday 16th of February 2023
[…] As we can see, there are a lot of Dairy Queen gluten-free options to choose from, However, there is always a risk of cross-contamination in the kitchen. This is because the restaurant handles ingredients that contain gluten, and there is a possibility that those ingredients may come into contact with gluten-free items. […]